Gabrielle Bisset

Friday, November 16, 2012

Giving Thanks For The Good Things In Life

I was going to write a blistering post today about how some indie authors who write historical fiction seem to be totally ignorant of history (and the need for an editor!) and how the bloggers who review those same historically incorrect books as great look foolish, but half way through that post my head almost exploded in disgust at both parties, so instead today I chose to be thankful for the good things in my life.

Sometimes it's difficult to be thankful when you're in the middle of nonsense. That's why I'm making the effort today. I think it's worth the time, and at the very least it will make me feel good. Here's to hoping it makes you want to think of all the good things you have in your life.

So what am I thankful for?

My family--I have a very small family, but they're good people who make me smile more than frown. In the big scheme of things, that's worth a lot. I just wish they'd clean the bathroom more often.

My knowledge--My years in school gave me so much to be thankful for. (Trying not to go off on the ignorance that makes my subject in romance such a fucking shambles....serenity now...) As I skip around the Internet and teach my classes each day, I realize that my education was a great gift. But it's not just knowledge that my education gave me. It's the tools to continue learning things that help me every day.

My parents--In truth, my parents were a bit of a train wreck. My mother spent most of my childhood perfecting her role as a martyr, and my father was a drunk. But as I told a friend last night, I can see that those years were pretty good compared to many other people's. My parents were, above everything else, hardworking people who knew right from wrong and taught their daughter the same. In a world of frauds, they were the real deal and helped me know how to spot that.

My friends--Thanks to the people who make me laugh so hard my stomach muscles hurt and listen to me when I'm tilting at windmills. You do so much to make my life great.

My writing--I put this last, but that doesn't mean it's the least important. I don't spend my time pontificating about muses or claiming I write because of some voices in my head or some absolute need to lest I suffer without pen in hand. None of that is true. What is true is that I write because it brings me happiness. That's it. Nothing melodramatic. I just enjoy it, so I write. That I can because I possess the skill helps to make this love a profitable one, but in the end, I write because it makes me happy. I'm thankful I've found something that does that.

Here's to you having a wonderful Thanksgiving and every day appreciating what makes your life wonderful!


0 comments: