Gabrielle Bisset

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Words I Can Live By

In an article yesterday about the death of Christopher Hitchens at age 62 from esophageal cancer, Rabbi Brad Hirschfield wrote in referring to Hitchens' passion, "Find the passion where you can and when you can, the rest is commentary, as long as your passion leads you to care and concern for others beyond yourself."

I won't go into a discussion about Hitchens, other than to say despite the fact that for me he was too liberal at times, the world was a better place for having him in it and an emptier place now that his voice is gone. But Rabbi Hirschfield's comment on passion resonated with me the instant my eyes flowed over the words on the screen. 

"Find the passion where you can and when you can, the rest is commentary, as long as your passion leads you to care and concern for others beyond yourself." 

Perfect words for this holiday season and words I can live by.  Thank you, Rabbi, for your insightfulness, and thank you Christopher Hitchens for stirring the shit when others wished you'd be quiet.

1 comments:

Michelle Bledsoe said...

Gabrielle, I just noticed that I left something out of my email.
It is koonie2888 at yahoo dot com.

Thank you so much.
Michelle